You start thinking about your home’s heating system only when things get chilly and you need something to make and keep you toasty. Yet, think twice before cranking up that fireplace, as a silent killer it watching for the wrong step.

Every year, more than 170 people die of carbon monoxide – invisible, colorless, odorless gas. The poisoning of CO is totally preventable if you have a detector installed and check it regularly.

Carbon Monoxide Leaks

The main sources of carbon monoxide leaks are:

  • Fireplaces,
  • Central heating systems,
  • Boilers,
  • Furnace systems,
  • Generators,
  • Gas ranges.

When any of these appliances is not installed properly, used incorrectly, or damaged, chances are high CO will leak from it. CO poisoning is even more likely with people who use their heating appliances excessively without ventilating the space.

When in doubt there may be any leak on your boiler or central heating system, make sure to contact us – we will do our best to come and check the appliance in the shortest term possible.

The Importance of Detectors

If you have CO detectors installed, you can prevent unwanted outcomes and even deaths of your family members.

Detectors that are battery operated should be tested every once in a while, and their batteries should be replaced once a year. For detectors plugged into an outlet, it would be best to run tests once in a month.

Most carbon dioxide detectors come with a 5 to 7-year warranty, but numerous sellers recommend they should be replaced every 5 years.

Obviously, carbon monoxide poisoning is not a topic that should be overlooked, which is why you should check the CO detectors in your home regularly. Keeping yourself warm is important, but ensuring that you are safe is a priority. Make sure to have your CO detectors checked according to the instructions the seller gives. And, if you still don’t have one installed, do it for the sake of your family members and yourself.

Call Smart Services today on 0203 556 2002 or email us info@mysmart-services.co.uk